First In Last Out (FILO) is a collective of high-level events & production personnel,
based in Naarm (Melbourne), Australia.
We deliver management services for cultural & corporate events, festivals and the performing arts,
with a focus on Production + Operations Management and Risk + Safety.
We collaborate with a wide range of independent and freelance production personnel and with other production and technical services organisations. We expand & contract, allowing us to engage the most appropriate collaborators for each unique project.
We focus on comprehensive, best-practice documentation; keeping abreast of, and utilising, cutting-edge technologies; and placing the aesthetic value of our collaborative undertakings at the centre of all we do.
We believe that art is important. Helping other artists achieve their creative vision is what makes us tick.
We work across Australia but are based in Naarm (Melbourne). The Wurundjeri-willam people of the Kulin nation are the traditional owners of this place and sovereignty was never ceded. We pay respect to their elders past, present & emerging and pay tribute to all Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islander people who call this place home.
images from selected projects
First In Last Out offers management services in the following areas:
Project and Production Management
Management of every production element of a project; from the preparation of initial project scopes and budgets, through the development and build phase (pre-production) to the management and delivery of the resultant event or show.
Working together with clients to help realise their event, in every facet required.
Working with clients on a project or event, at any stage of its development, to examine the operational and logistical implications of the project scope in order to achieve the best outcomes for the project.
We specialise in the preparation of stand-alone high-level documents (Production, Project, Safety/Risk or Technical documentation) for dissemination by a client to stakeholders or as part of a permissions process.
Working together with clients to procure or develop all documentation and assets required to obtain the necessary permits and permissions required to deliver a particular event of project.
risk + safety
First In Last Out offers safety and risk consultancy services in the following areas:
Systems, Processes and Documentation
- The development of Safety Management Systems, Risk Frameworks, Policies and Procedures
- The development of detailed and customised Risk Management Planning documentation and risk control assets
- The development of comprehensive Safety and Emergency Management Plans, Manuals and delivery assets
- The development of Crowd Management Plans and crowd management assets
- Inspections and Audits of Venues, Sites & Project Builds to assist clients in developing early -stage risk & safety analyses
- Provision of Weather Monitoring, Real Time Incident Reporting, Crowd Monitoring systems via our partner organisations
- Provision of simple or complex Compliance Systems (Contractor Management, Incident Reporting, Compliance, Checks)
- Customised online Induction systems
- Customised Safety Training, Toolbox Talks and Onsite Inductions for Sites/Venues
- Provision of qualified and experienced Event Safety Staff (Wardens and EOC staff)
- Hire of Site Safety equipment and systems (such as Warden Kits or EOC Management Equipment)
risk management for artists
For Artists and Small Organisations, preparing your own Risk Assessments for smaller projects,
you may find our specialist Artist Risk Management Pack very helpful.
The pack, available for purchase in our shop, contains the FILO Risk Management Guide for Artists, as well as template Risk Management documents, fact sheets and checklists. It’s an invaluable resource for artists wanting to embrace risk-taking as part of their practice, in a safe way!
Need some staff or advice on a project? Need a plan drawn or a budget created? Get in touch!
If we can't help you out, we'll be able to recommend some fantastic practitioners who can:
we have many co-conspirators in Melbourne, across Australia and internationally